Sustainability at DCU
Recycle and reduce waste
We can do this by:
- buying less or buying smarter
- reusing, repairing or upcycling goods clothes, furniture, bikes, appliances and so on (check out the Rediscovery Centre for ideas)
- recycling or composting material we no longer need (check out MyWaste.ie to find out where you can recycle 100s of things, from animal beds to wool)
When you shop
- Reduce how much stuff you buy.
- Most emissions associated with ‘stuff’ comes from them being made and transported to you. Reduce your emissions by reducing your shopping!
- Bring your own bag
- Don’t use single-use bags and remember to bring your reusable bags, as they have to be used many times to be truly sustainable.
- Be aware of packaging.
- Choose items with little or no packaging.
- If you can, leave unnecessary packaging in the shop to encourage them to reduce it.
- Limit the amount of clothes you buy
- Buy durable clothes that will last.
- Challenge yourself to only buy three items of clothing in a year.
- Learn to sew and mend your clothes. DCU Sustainable Living Society runs a great ‘Stitch and Bitch’!
What you eat and drink
- Reduce food waste by planning your meals and only buying what you need. Half of all food produced is wasted!
- Eat less meat. Try meat-free Mondays to get started!
- Carry a refillable bottle instead of buying plastic bottles. Our Facebook page has a map of water refill points in DCU.
- Use a reusable mug when you can and remember most paper coffee cups are not recyclable!
When you print and use paper
- Try to print less and print double-sided when you can.
- Use recycled paper for brochures/flyers etc
- Run digital poster campaigns NOT paper posters
- Use ink refills rather than buying new each time.