DCU Research Centres and Institutes
DCU Research Centres
Please find a list of the University Designated Research Centres and the SFI funded Centres we partner in below.
You can also search by Research Centre on our Research Portal to find a list of affiliated researchers.
- ADAPT - The SFI Research Centre for AI-driven Digital Content Technology is a collaboration of leading academics, researchers and industry partners that is driven by a vision of “empowering people for deeper engagement in a digital world”. ADAPT researchers are based across eight leading Irish Higher Education Institutions: TCD, DCU, UCD, TU Dublin, MU, MTU, NUIG & AIT.
- Biodesign Europe is a transatlantic applied research institute established in partnership with Arizona State University’s Biodesign Institute. Biodesign Europe focuses, in collaboration of leading academics, researchers and industry partners, on the discovery of innovative solutions to today’s complex global challenges in healthcare, sustainability and security by harnessing the building blocks of Nature’s grand design and translating these solutions into high-value technologies and clinical practice.
- National Anti-Bullying Research and Resource Centre (ABC) – ABC leads the field of research, resource development and training in bullying in Ireland and is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in bullying research.
- Advanced Process Technology Research Centre (APT) – The Advanced Processing Technology Research Centre (APT) focuses on state of the art research activities in the areas of Production Technology, Sustainable Technology, Micro and Nano Technology, and Advanced Engineering Materials.
- Anti-Corruption Research Centre (ARC) - DCU’s Anti-Corruption Research Centre (ARC) is the first academic centre in Ireland dedicated to research, policy impact and education on corruption and anti-corruption.
- Centre for Advancement of STEM Teaching and Learning (CASTeL) – CASTeL research is focused on 'the classroom and the lab' – on enhancing the impact of the full spectrum of teaching, learning and assessment activities in mathematics and science.
- Centre for Astrophysics & Relativity (CfAR) - CfAR links research across a wide range of disciplines within astrophysics and relativity broadly. The research currently undertaken includes Exoplanet research, proto-planetary disk research, high energy astrophysics including gamma ray bursts and both research into the astrophysical and relativistic treatment of black holes.
- Centre for Climate & Society - the focus of the Centre for Climate and Society is on bringing a social science and humanities perspective to the challenges of climate change.
- Centre for eIntegrated Care (CeIC) – a multi-disciplinary research centre focused on advancing eIntegrated care in order to improve health and wellbeing.
- Centre for Engaged Research (CER) - the Centre for Engaged Research aims to transform research into an active partnership with society to address pressing public needs.
- Centre for Evaluation, Quality & Inspection (EQI) – The Centre for Evaluation, Quality and Inspection is a multidisciplinary research group focused on the thematic areas of School Evaluation and Inspection and Culturally Responsive Evaluation and Assessment.
- National Centre for Family Business – The first family business centre of excellence and learning in Ireland, translating leading Irish and International research into best practice, for this generation and future generations of Irish family businesses.
- Centre for Human Rights and Citizenship Education (CHRCE) - CHRCE champions educational policy and practice which promotes human rights, children’s rights, global justice and environmental sustainability.
- Centre for Translation and Textual Studies (CTTS) – pursues research in translation and textual studies, applied languages, and related areas.
- CONNECT – The SFI Centre for Future Networks and Communications (CONNECT) is a flagship research centre for communications networking, services, applications and technologies. Its mission is to research, develop and innovate solutions to the communications challenges facing society. New broadband architectures, new cellular technologies and the Internet of Things is at the centre of its work. .
- Entwine – Entwine's mission is to provide a networked platform with a global reach for the provision of services that enable the scalable machine-to-machine communication required to realise a true Internet of Things.
- Food for Health@DCU – Food for Health Ireland is a multi-location, multi-partnered, multi-disciplinary research centre that addresses some of today's most pressing health issues through food.
- FPC@DCU - The Fraunhofer Project Centre for Embedded Bioanalytical Systems "FPC@DCU" - an initiative jointly supported by Science Foundation Ireland and Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft - is a one-stop shop for the development of microfluidics-based solutions for decentralised bioanalytical testing.
- FuJo – FuJo is an innovative and experimental space for journalism and media research. It provides a platform where journalists, communication scholars, social and data scientists, software engineers and philosophers can come together.
- I-FORM – The mission of the SFI Research Centre for Advanced Manufacturing (I-Form) is to shape the future of manufacturing through high-impact research into the application of digital technologies to materials processing.
- Irish Institute of Digital Business (IIDB) – IIDB is a centre of excellence for theoretical and applied research that investigates and accelerates the adoption of digital technologies and the transformation of business using these technologies.
- INSIGHT – The SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics (Insight) is one of the biggest data analytics centres in Europe. It undertakes high-impact research, seeks to derive value from Big Data and provides innovative technology solutions for industry and society by enabling better decision-making.
- IPIC – The SFI Research Centre for Irish Photonics Integrations (IPIC) focuses on developing new light-enabled technologies. Photonics is a key enabling technology that underpins the internet and affects diverse industries such as medical devices, renewable energy, manufacturing and environmental monitoring.
- Institute of Ethics – The Institute of Ethics aims to create ethical awareness in relation to all fields of the university's activities and to play a leading role in raising public awareness of, and stimulating debate about, ethical issues.
- Institute for International Conflict Resolution and Reconstruction (IICRR) – brings together authoritative analysis of the Northern Ireland peace process with research and expertise on conflict and peacebuilding in a number of regions around the world, including West and Central Africa, Eastern Europe, and South and Central Asia.
- International Centre for Neurotherapeutics – a multi-disciplinary centre undertaking research into the fundamental mechanisms of neurotransmitter release focussed on developing novel treatments for neuronal disorders.
- LERO - The SFI Research Centre for Software (LERO) brings together leading software teams from universities and institutes of technology in a coordinated centre of research excellence with a strong industry focus.
- Law Research Centre – The Law Research Centre, based in the School of Law and Government at DCU, focuses on the social, cultural and economic context in which laws are made and enforced.
- National Centre for Plasma Science and Technology (NCPST) – The centre focuses on plasma science and technology is the platform that underpins numerous technological applications that are used in numerous industries including, semiconductor and microsystem manufacture, surface engineering of mechanical components and medical devices, environmental, lighting and energy.
- National Centre for Sensor Research (NCSR) – a multi-disciplinary research facility focused on the science and applications of chemical sensors and biosensors.
- National Institute for Cellular Biotechnology (NICB) – a multi-disciplinary centre of research in fundamental and applied Cellular Biotechnology, Molecular Cell Biology, Ocular diseases and Biological Chemistry
- SEALBHÚ: Lárionad Taighde DCU um Fhoglaim agus Teagasc na Gaeilge - a cross-faculty Centre which aims to consolidate and co-ordinate Applied Linguistics and Language Planning research in Ireland and to work closely with partners in other countries who are investigating similar issues.
- Water Institute – The Water Institute (WI) is a cross-faculty initiative of research and education on water.