Learning Innovation Unit, Dublin City University
Learning Innovation Unit
Selected Library Resources on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
by Ellen Breen, Library
- Biggs, John (2007) Teaching for quality learning at university
- Cowan, John (2006) On becoming an innovative university teacher
- Fry, Heather (2009) A handbook for teaching and learning in higher education
- Markey, Anne (2008) In at the deep end: starting to teach in higher education
- Murray, R (2008) The scholarship of teaching and learning in higher education
- Race, Phil (2007) The lecturer’s toolkit: a practical guide to learning
Note: Check the Library’s Catalogue for more titles.
Selected Journals delivered to your desktop via the Library
The library delivers hundreds of education titles to your desktop, they include general HE titles and discipline specific titles for example:
- Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Higher Education Quarterly
- New Directions for Teaching and Learning
- Review of Educational Research
- Teaching in Higher Education
- Teaching Science
Note: To access the above titles and to see if a specific journal title not listed is available, visit the Library’s A-Z of Journals.
Finding Journal Articles: Library Databases
Here are some databases which you can use to search for articles relating to the SOTL. All will provide direct links to the full-text content where available and can be accessed from the Library’s A-Z of databases.
Professional Development Collection
Indexes and abstracts of over 800 educational titles with full-text access to over 500 titles.
ERIC and Eric International
ERIC is a non-commercial database sponsored by the Institute of Education Sciences of the US Department of Education. It contains more than 1 million abstracts of documents and journal articles on education research and practice. ERIC International is a subscription based database and is available via the Library. It provides access to the Australian and British Education Index.
Note: Search discipline specific databases for articles on aspects of teaching and learning in different subject areas for example, Inspec for computer scientists, engineers and physicists.
Keep up to date the easy way!
Most library databases (individual publisher databases and aggregated databases) allow you to save searches and receive email alerts when new content matching your search becomes available.
You can also set up an RSS feed or an email alert to receive the table of contents of the latest issues of your favourite journals.
Contact your Subject LibrarianIf you need help using any of the Library’s resources, or would like to discuss your information needs, your Subject Librarian would be happy to meet with you.