Borrow, Return, Renew & Request
- Undergraduates can borrow up to 14 items
- Taught and Research Postgraduates can borrow up to 20 items
- Bachelor of Education (B Ed) students can borrow up to 20 items
Remember: Only TWO 48 Hour Loans
How to Borrow
- Bring the book to one of the self service machines found in any of our three libraries.
- Press Borrow and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Always print or email an issue receipt to get the due date for return.
Tip: Sign in to Library Search online to check the due date of each item you have on loan.
To avoid borrowing restrictions, all items must be returned to any DCU Library site on or before the due date.
Remember: It is the responsibility of the patron to be aware of the due date for material and to return material on time regardless of any reminders
Return your items to the Return Facility available in all DCU Library sites. Our return facilities can receive material from any library.
O’Reilly Library, Glasnevin Campus
O'Reilly Library has a 24/7 Return Facility located on the outside wall, to the left of the revolving door.
Not able to make it to campus in time to return your books?
Please return any loan(s) via registered post to its home library. Patrons are deemed responsible for library items until received back by library staff and removed from the patrons account:
DCU Glasnevin Campus,
DCU St. Patrick's Campus,
Woodlock Hall Library
DCU All Hallows Campus,
Remember: To avoid delays in getting new material on loan, please return or renew any loans which may be overdue
How to Renew
Not finished with a book by its due date? No problem!
It’s easy to go online and renew your loan.
Go to Library Search and Sign in to you library account (top right) with your DCU username & Password.
- Click on My Loans to view your loans.
- Click on the Renew button beside the item(s) you wish to extend the loan period.
- Items can be renewed a maximum of 3 times before you return them.
- 48 hour loans cannot be renewed and must be returned on or before the due date.
- Contact email@example.com for assistance.
Remember: Books that have been reserved by another borrower cannot be renewed
Tip: We will send you a reminder the day before the due date (to your DCU email account) to indicate an item you have on loan is due for return.
Always remember to renew them before the due date as after that date has passed they will need to be returned to the Library.
- All items in 1 week and 3 week loan collections can be requested if they are on loan to another patron. These items can be collected in any library of your choosing.
- 48hr loan collection: core module materials cannot be requested.
- Items available on the shelf (not on loan) cannot be requested and are available to borrow.
TIP Always sign in to Library Search to get access to Request options where available.
In Library Search the book record will state that it is not available, it is out on loan, as shown in the image.
You may request this item by clicking on the blue Request link in the Availability and Request Options section.
Tip: Take a note of the due date of the book in the record to get an idea when the book will be returned.
- Choose your library Pickup Location.
- Click Send Request to confirm.
The library will send you an email to your DCU email account when the book is ready to be picked up.
Library Store Collection
The Store is a large collection of supplementary material held in storage in O’Reilly Library.
Books from this collection are available only on request via the record in Library Search.
Before submitting a request, please ensure there is no alternative means of accessing the title - either in main collections, or as an Ebook.
To submit a request:
- Sign in to Library Search and locate the record of the required book.
- In the Availability and Request Options section, click on the blue Request link.
- Choose your library Pickup Location
- Click Send Request to confirm.
- The library will send you an email to your DCU email account when the book is ready to be picked up.
Requested items are typically supplied within 48 hours when pick up is O’Reilly Library. Supply time to Cregan Library or Woodlock Hall Library is generally 2-3 days.
A small number of items are listed as Restricted on Library Search and are not available to browse from the shelf or request online.
Enquiries of interest for these books should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
You will need your DCU staff or student username and password to log in to avail of the following services and more:
- Loans - you can view your loans and check their due dates
- Renewals - you can renew your loans where this is allowed.
- Requests - check what active request(s) you currently have. You will also have an option to cancel these if necessary.
Please contact email@example.com for assistance with network login.