Information for Academics
Welcome to DCU Library
Our staff and resources are available to you and your students, and we’re working hard to ensure electronic access to as much of your teaching material as possible. We have a broad range of services in place to support you in your teaching - for in depth information on those services, please view Teaching Services below.
Check the following sections for full details of our other services and supports during Semester 1
All current DCU staff automatically have full membership to DCU Library, O'Reilly Library, Glasnevin Campus and Cregan Library, St. Patrick's Campus.
However, you must be registered on the Library system to activate your ID card.
Please email the following information to the emails below:
- Staff Name
- Staff Number
- DCU email
- DCU Postal Address
- Permanent or Temporary Staff Member (if temporary, include contract expiry date)
Please email the library on the campus you are based:
The Library is open with a reduced capacity initially allowing a safe number of students into the buildings to study or access materials. Admittance is not guaranteed and may require a waiting period.
- The Library opening hours vary throughout the year. Up to date information is available on the Library website and on the front door of each library.
- For extended opening hours the library will be open for Study Only with security. Library staff will not be available, but self service machines can be used to borrow and return items. PCs and printing facilities are also available.
- Staff online/phone support available Monday to Saturday, 9am - 5pm
- Online Chat With Us available 10am - 2pm, Monday to Friday
- O’Reilly book return facility available 24/7
- Cregan book return facility available during opening hours, Monday to Saturday.
- DCU Library online resources (eBooks, eJournals) available 24/7
Registered staff and students of DCU can access all of the Library's databases, e-journals and e-books off-campus.
To take advantage of this facility, simply click on the database, e-journal or e-book you wish to consult. For many resources, entering your DCU username and password when prompted will give access . This is the username and password you got when you registered with DCU.
Some resources will require you to select your institution at the outset, while others require a personal account to be created for the individual resource.
On all occasions you will be prompted when accessing the resource. If you experience any problems accessing our resources from home please contact us during Library opening hours at: 01 7005418 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff and postgraduate students may borrow up to 20 items
How to Borrow
- Bring the book to one of the self service machines found on the ground floor in either library.
- Press ‘Borrow’ and follow the onscreen instructions
- Remember: Only TWO 48 Hour / Short Loans / DVDs can be borrowed at a time
- Always print or email an issue receipt to get the due date for return
Tip: Check your online ‘My Library Account’ for the due date of each item on loan
How to Return
Return all loans to the returns facilities located at either Library
These facilities can receive material from both libraries.
- Or bring the book to one of the self service machines located on the ground floor in either library.
- Press ‘Return’ and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Always print or email a return receipt to confirm the transaction
- A book that has been reserved by another borrower cannot be returned on a self service machine. Return this book to the Issue Desk (or internal return facility outside staff service hours)
- O’Reilly also provides a 24/7 external return facility. Located on the outside wall, left of the revolving door
Terms & Conditions to Note
- It is the responsibility of the borrower to be aware of the due date for material and to return material on time and on date regardless of any courtesy reminders
- Borrowers are deemed responsible for library items until received back by library staff and removed from the borrower's account.
- Overdue loans will restrict your ability to borrow and renew additional material.
- No late fines are being charged at this time.
How to Renew
Not finished with a book by its due date? No problem! It’s easy to go online and renew your loan.
- Visit the Library website and select the ‘My Library Account’ quick link, enter your borrower number (8-digit DCU ID number) and Library PIN (see My Library Account for more information)
- Click on the ‘Renew’ button beside the loan you wish to hold on to
- Loans can be renewed a maximum of 3 times before they must be returned
- Loans that have been reserved by another borrower cannot be renewed
- Books that have passed their due date cannot be renewed online. Return them to the library or contact the issue desk for more assistance.
Alternatively, contact the library by email or phone to renew any loans (please reference your DCU ID number):
|O’Reilly Library||Cregan Library|
|E: email@example.com||E: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|T: 01 700 5041||T: 01 700 9134|
Remember: 48 Hour / Short Loan books and DVDs can NOT be renewed
How to Reserve
Looking for a book that is currently on loan to another borrower?
Why not reserve it so that you can be next in line!
- First, find the book on the library catalogue
- Click on the ‘Reserve’ button
- Enter your borrower number and Library PIN
- Click on the Reserve’ button again to confirm your reservation
- Reservations can only be collected from the library where it is held
- When the book is ready for collection we will send an email to your DCU email account
- You will have 3 working days to collect your reservation from the Issue Desk of it’s home library
Remember: 48 Hour / Short Loan books and DVDs can NOT be reserved
Only books on loan can be reserved - copies on the shelf are not reservable.
Where the Library does not have a copy of a particular book, journal article, thesis, conference paper, patent or other source you can use the ILL service to request it.
More information on the Inter Library Loans Page
Limited seating is available in both O’Reilly and Cregan Libraries.
INDIVIDUAL STUDY ONLY
Study seats have been pre selected in both libraries, a chair is only available for selected study seats.
We are unable to offer group/collaborative study spaces at this time.
Remember: Wear a mask inside library spaces at all times
Terms & Conditions to Note
- To ensure the safety of all library users and staff, do not move chairs or tables.
- We ask when you are leaving the library for whatever reason to please bring all your belongings with you.
- We ask that you do not visit the library if you are feeling unwell or have any symptoms of Covid-19
- Food is not permitted in the library
Each Faculty and School has a Librarian dedicated to working with academics, researchers and students to achieve their teaching, research and learning goals.
Contact details for our team of Subject Librarians.
For real time up to date information on library developments and news follow DCU Library: