Information for Academics
Due to the recent COVID-19 restrictions announced by DCU, the library buildings will be closed from Tuesday 12 January until Monday 15 February 2021 and services will be restricted. Information on services here
Welcome to DCU Library
Our staff and resources are available to you and your students, and we’re working hard to ensure electronic access to as much of your teaching material as possible. We have a broad range of services in place to support you in your teaching - for in depth information on those services, please view Teaching Services below.
Check the following sections for full details of our other services and supports during 2020/21.
All current DCU staff automatically have full membership to DCU Library, O'Reilly Library, Glasnevin Campus and Cregan Library, St. Patrick's Campus.
However, you must be registered on the Library system to activate your ID card.
Please email the following information to the emails below:
- Staff Name
- Staff Number
- DCU email
- DCU Postal Address
- Permanent or Temporary Staff Member (if temporary, include contract expiry date)
Please email the library on the campus you are based:
Registered staff and students of DCU can access all of the Library's databases, e-journals and e-books off-campus.
To take advantage of this facility, simply click on the database, e-journal or e-book you wish to consult. For many resources, entering your DCU username and password when prompted will give access . This is the username and password you got when you registered with DCU.
Some resources will require you to select your institution at the outset, while others require a personal account to be created for the individual resource.
On all occasions you will be prompted when accessing the resource. If you experience any problems accessing our resources from home please contact us during Library opening hours at: 01 7005418 or email: email@example.com
Staff and postgraduate students may borrow up to 20 items
How to Borrow
Traditional book browsing is unavailable at this time, in line with University Health & Safety guidelines. To access our print content please request via:
Click and Collect - New!
You can now reserve books via Click + Collect which are either on loan or on the shelf, and you can collect them in O’Reilly or Cregan, whichever is more convenient.
You can request up to ten books at a time and all loans will be pre-issued for 3 weeks.
Scan and Send - New!
If you need a book chapter or a journal article which isn’t available online, use the Scan & Send service. We can supply a digital copy from DCU library's print collections, straight to your DCU email address.
How to Return
We have made it easier than ever for DCU staff and students to return material to us - in addition to 24/7 availability for the O’Reilly bookbin, our Cregan returns bin now has extended access - scroll down for full details during Monday - Saturday
Let us know if you have any questions about returns by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: no fines have been imposed on books borrowed in 2020
Return all loans to the Book Bins located at both Libraries. Book bins can receive material from both libraries.
- O’Reilly Library, Glasnevin Campus
Open 24/7, located on the outside wall, left of the revolving door
- Cregan Library, St. Patrick's Campus
located inside the Foyer on the ground floor
Monday 09:00 - 17:00 Tuesday 09:00 - 21:00 Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00 Thursday 09:00 - 21:00 Friday 09:00 - 17:00 Saturday 09:00 - 17:00
Terms & Conditions to Note
- Borrowers are deemed responsible for library items until received back by library staff and removed from the borrowers account.
- Overdue loans will restrict your ability to borrow and renew additional material.
- Overdue loans may also impact your ability to book a study seat
- No fines are being charged at this time.
Note: In compliance with Covid safety guidelines, all items returned will be quarantined for 72 hours
How to Renew
Not finished with a book by its due date? No problem! It’s easy to go online and renew your loan.
- Visit the Library website and select the My Library Account quick link, enter your borrower number (8-digit student number) and Library PIN
- Click on the ‘Renew’ button beside the loans you wish to hold on to
- Loans can be renewed a maximum of 3 times before they must be returned
Alternatively, contact the library by email or phone to renew any loans (please reference your student number):
P: 01 700 5041
P: 01 700 9134
Terms & Conditions to Note
- Please note Cregan and O’Reilly self-service machines are not available - in line with University Health & Safety guidelines
- Loans that have been reserved by another borrower cannot be renewed
- Overdue loans cannot be renewed
Where the Library does not have a copy of a particular book, journal article, thesis, conference paper, patent or other source you can use the ILL service to request it.
More information on the Inter Library Loans Page
Book A Seat - New
If you wish to study in the Library, you must reserve a seat through our online booking service
Book A Seat.
- Limited seating is available in both O’Reilly Library and Cregan Library.
- To ensure the safety of both library users and staff, please familiarise yourself with the
- Library Study Regulations.
- We ask that you do not attend any bookings if you are feeling unwell or have any symptoms of Covid-19.
- This is a pilot seat access scheme and will be constantly reviewed and revised depending on the University Health and Safety guidelines during the academic year 2020-21
- We are unable to offer walk-in access for study spaces at this time
For queries on this service, please email email@example.com
Each Faculty and School has a Librarian dedicated to working with academics, researchers and students to achieve their teaching, research and learning goals.
Contact details for our team of Subject Librarians.
For real time up to date information on library developments and news follow DCU Library: